Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentBALLYELLIN, a parish, partly in the barony of ST. MULLIN'S, but chiefly in that of IDRONE EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, adjacent to Graigue and Goresbridge; containing 1760 inhabitants.
This parish consists of two detached portions separated by the parish of Slyguff, one of which contains five townlands and the other two: it is bounded on the north by the river Barrow, which separates it from the county of Kilkenny, and over which there is a bridge at Goresbridge; and comprises 5266 statute acres, of which 4754 are applotted under the tithe act and valued at £4052 per annum. Here is a quarry of black marble, used for tombstones and chimney-pieces.
Ballyellin House is the residence of Walter Blackney, Esq.
It is a rectory in the diocese of Leighlin, and forms part of the union of Lorum: the tithes amount to £413 1s. 6.50 d. The ruins of the church are situated within a burial ground near the road from Borris to Goresbridge.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is in the union or district of Bagnalstown or Dunleckney.
Note: Lewis tells us that Ballyellin is part of the Union of Dunleckny, yet Bendenstown (Bendinstown) is listed in the R.C. marriage records for Ballon & Ratoe.
On the lands of Clowater are the ruins of a castle.