Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentBALLYFEARD, a parish, in the barony of KINNALEA, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4.50 miles (N.E. by E.) from Kinsale; containing 1337 inhabitants.
This parish comprises 4500 statute acres as applotted under the tithe act and valued at £2460 per annum: about 3500 acres are arable and pasture, and 1000 waste and bog. The land is very good and principally under tillage; but agriculture as a system, is comparatively unknown; the chief manure is sea-sand, which is brought from Menane Bridge, three British miles distant. It has been proposed to cut a canal from Belgooley to the river Menane, and application has been made to the Government for that purpose, but nothing has yet been decided. The village contains 24 houses indifferently built, it is a constabulary police station and petty sessions are held ever alternate Wednesday.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Shannon; the tithes amount to £260, of which one half is payable to the impropriator, and the other to the vicar. There is no church, but divine service is regularly performed in the parochial school house which is licensed for that purpose. The glebe comprises five acres, but there is no glebe-house.
In the R.C. divisions this is one of the three parishes that constitute the union or district of Clontead; the chapel at Ballingarry is a plain thatched building.
The parochial school and a Sunday school are under the superintendence of the vicar: there are also two pay schools in the parish.