Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentBALLYWALTER, or WHITECHURCH, a parish, in the barony of ARDES, county DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N. E.) from Kirkcubbin : the population is returned with the union of St. Andrew's.
This parish is situated on the eastern coast, and with a detached portion comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 3379 statute acres. The village, which in 1831 contained 664 inhabitants, is situated in lat. 54° 82' 20" (N.), and Lon. 5° 28' (W.), and is R coast-guard station, forming one of the twelve that constitute the district of Donaghadee.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Down, and is part of the union of Ballywalter or St. Andrew's ; the rectory is appropriate to the Lord-Primate. The tithes amount to £339. 18s.. 1d., of which £226. 12s. 1d., is payable to the Lord-Primate, and £113 6s. to the incumbent. On the next avoidance of the benefice of St. Andrew's, this parish will become a separate living, in the patronage of the Lord-Primate.
In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Lower Ardes.
There are two places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster. Some ruins of the old church yet exist.