Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentCARRIGROHANBEG, or KILGROHANBEG, a parish, in the barony of BARRETTS, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (W.) from Cork city ; containing 659 inhabitants.
This parish, which is situated in a very fertile district adjoining the western boundary of the county of the city of Cork, is bounded on the south by the river Lee, and on the east by the river Awenbeg, or Shawnagh, a small river which flows from Blarney and falls into the Lee opposite to the beautiful ruins of Carrigrohane castle. It contains 1513 statue acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1936 per annum: the surface is pleasingly diversified, and the soil, resting on a substratum of clay-slate, is extremely fertile. The land is chiefly in pasture, and the farmers attend most exclusively to the dairy, for supplying the city of Cork with milk and butter. The vale of Awenbeg is beautifully romantic, and on the banks of that river were formerly some mills for manufacturing paper and some iron forges; the vale of the Lee is exceedingly fertile, and the meadows are occasionally irrigated by the overflowing of the river.
The gentlemen's seats are Woodside, the residence of the Rev. E. M. Carleton, commanding a fine view down the vale, with an excellent farm adjoining it belonging to the proprietor of the estate, who has done much towards improving the agriculture of the surrounding district; Rock Lodge, of R. Carleton, Esq.; Beechmount, of the Rev. R. Cahill; and Temple Hill, of Russell Fitton, Esq.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £155. 11s. 7d. There is no church, but divine service is regularly performed by the rector in his own house; the ruins of the old parish church, covered with ivy, and presenting a very picturesque appearance, are situated between the high road and the river Lee, near its junction with the Awenbeg. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe.
In the Roman Cathlolic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Inniscarra.
The male and female parochial schools are supported by the rector, in connection with the Cloyne Diocesan Association.