Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentCONNOR, a parish, and the head of a diocese, in the barony of LOWER ANTRIM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Ballymena ; containing 8682 inhabitants, of which number, 289 are in the village.
A religious establishment was founded here at an early period, of which little beyond the names of some of its abbots is now known. It was made the head of the diocese of Connor.
The village consists of about 50 houses, and contains a dispensary. Fairs are held on Feb. lst, May 2nd, Aug. 2nd, and Oct. 28th.
The parish, which is situated on the river Glenwherry, comprises, with Kells, according to the Ordnance Survey, 17,135.75 statute acres, about one third of which is arable, one-half pasture, and one-sixth bog.
The living in a vicarage, in the diocese of Connor, united, with part of the rectory, by charter of the 7th of Chas. I., to the rectories of Killagan and Killyglen, and the vicarage of Solar, which constitute the union and corps of the prebend of Connor in the cathedral of St. Saviour, at Lisburn, in the patronage of the Bishop; the remainder of the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Ferrard. The tithes of the parish amount to £151, of which £86 is payable to the impropriator, and £65 to the vicar ; and the gross tithes of the benefice amount to £279. 19s. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £400 and a loan of £400, in 1820, from the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe comprises 40 acres, valued at £40 per annum. The church was erected by aid of a gift, in 1815, from the same Board.
In the R. C. divisions this parish is united with those of Drummaul and Antrim, forming the union or district of Drummaul ; there is a chapel in each.
There are two places of worship for Presbyterians, the largest of which is in connection with the Synod of Ulster, and of the first class.
There are national schools at Tannybrack, in which are 47 boys and 14 girls, and at Tannaghmore, of 80 boys and 54 girls; two schools in which are about 200 children, are partly maintained by Lord Ferrard, who subscribes £15. 15s. annually; and there are several private pay schools, and some Sunday schools. In the vicinity is an artificial mount with out-works.