Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.


  • Place
    Drumcree
  • County
    Armagh
  • Parish
    Drumcree
  • Content
    DRUMCREE, a parish, in the barony of O'NEILLAND WEST, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER; containing, with the post-town and district parish of Portadown, 12,355 inhabitants.

    According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises 13,385 statute acres: there is a very large tract of bog, most of which is valuable. The weaving of linen and cotton is carried on to a great extent.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate the tithes amount to £650. A large and handsome glebe- house was erected by the Rev. C. Alexander, in 1828, aided by a gift of £100 from the Late Board of First Fruits. The glebe comprises 567 acres, of which 93 are bog. The parish church is a large ancient building, with a tower and spire; and a chapel of ease was built at Portadown, in 1826. (Tartaraghan was once part of Drumcree parish, separated from it in the 8th of Queen Anne)

    The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a small chapel at Drumcree.

    There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Portadown and Scotch-street, and for Primitive Methodists at Derryanville, Scotch-street, and Drumnakelly.

    Two large and handsome schools have been erected and endowed by the Rev. C Alexander, who also principally supports three others. The school at Mullantine was built and is supported by Lady Mandeville; and at Ballyworken. Sir F W. Macnaghten, Bart has endowed one with a house and four acres of land for the master. In these schools about 370 children are educated, and about 60 are educated in two private schools. Roger Marley, Esq., bequeathed £30 per annum to the poor, payable out of a farm at Drumanally ; and Mrs. Johnston, in 1809, left for their use the interest of £100.

    At Battentaggart are considerable remains of an extensive mansion, erected by the Bolton family, in the reign of James I. A very ancient bell was found some years since in the churchyard of Drumcree.
  • Place
    Drumcree
  • County
    Westmeath
  • Parish
    Drumcree
  • Content
    DRUMCREE, a post-town, in the parish of KILCUMNEY, barony of DELVIN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. E) from Castle-Pollard, on the road to Athboy; containing 37 houses and 197 inhabitants.

    It has an improving appearance, and containsthe parish church, (a neat plain edifice with a square tower), the parochial school-house, and a dispensary. The post is a sub-office to Castletown-Delvin and Castle-Pollard. A manorial court is held here twice a year by the seneschal of Robert Smyth, Esq.