Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentGILBERTSTOWN, or BENDENSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Tullow, on the road to Leighlin ; containing 567 inhabitants.
Building stone is found, and there is some bog. Prior to 1830 the parish formed part of the union of Aghade.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £250. 0s. 8d.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is the head of a union or district, also called Ballon and Ratoe, comprising the parishes of Gilbertstown, Gallon, Kellistown, Templepetre, Aghade, and parts of Fennagh and Urglin, in which union are two chapels, situated at Ballon and Ratoe.
NOTE: Lewis tells us in this description of Gilbertstown that Templepetre or Templepeter is included in the Union of Gilbertstown, yet, in the description of Templepetre Civil Parish he lists it as being part of the Union of Dunleckny! He also tells us that the civil parish of Fennagh is part of the Gilbertstown Union and townlands belonging to Fennagh are named in the Ballon and Ratoe Roman Catholic Parish records, 1836-38, yet, in his description of Fennagh he says that it is part of Myshall!! He tells us that Urglin is part of Gilbertstown Union, but no mention of townlands in Urglin are listed in the R.C. records of Ballon & Ratoe
About 180 children are educated in a national school.