Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.


  • Place
    Glenavy, Lynavy
  • County
    Antrim
  • Parish
    Glenavy, Lynavy
  • Content
    GLENAVY, or LYNAVY, a post-town and parish, in the barony of UPPER MASSAREENE, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 7.50 miles (S.) from Lurgan, on the road to Antrim; containing 3390 inhabitants, of which number, 399 are in the town.

    According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 16,786 statute acres, 9219.50 of which are in Lough Neagh and 342.50 in Lough Portmore. The soil is well cultivated, and there is very little waste land or bog ; there is some basalt. The town contains 68 houses, and is divided into two equal parts by the river Glenavy. It has four quarterly fairs, principally for horned cattle and pigs. Here is a large cotton-mill, and much flax is spun and woven in the cottages. At Glenconway is an extensive bleach-green. From its situation on Lough Neagh, this parish has a communication by water with Belfast and Newry.

    The principal seats are Goremount, the residence of Mrs. Gore; Ballyminimore, of W. Oakman, Esq.; and Glenconway, of Mrs. Dickson.

    The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Connor, united to the vicarages of Camlin and Tullyrusk. and in the patronage of the Marquess of Hertford, who is impropriator of the rectory and proprietor of the parish : the tithes amount to £221. 19s. 4d., of which £172. 17s 4d., is payable to the vicar, and £49. 2s.2d., to the impropriator ; and the gross value of the benefice is £380 per annum. The glebe-house, in the parish of Camlin, was built in 1819, on a site given by the Marquess of Hereford, at an expense of £1072, of which £500 was a loan and £300 a gift from the late Board of First Fruits. The church was rebuilt in 1814 ; it is a handsome edifice with a square tower, for the erection of which the Marquess of Hertford subscribed £100 and the late Board gave £200 and lent £250.

    In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also Camlin, and Killead, and containing two chapels, one of which is a large building near Glenavy.

    There is also a place of worship for Primitive Methodists.

    There are schools at Ballynacoy, Crew, Fourscore, Ballyvanen and Old Park. On Ram's island, in Lough Neagh, are the remains of a round tower ; and in the parish are several raths and tumulti. From Crew hill a fine view is obtained of Lough Neagh and of parts of six counties, with several towns and seats.