Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentGRANGEFORTH, a parish, in the barony and county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Tullow, on the road to Carlow town; containing 926 inhabitants.
By inquisition taken in 1601 it appears that it belonged to Fferdoroghe O'Gormogane, but it was granted to Sir John Ponsonby in 1669.
It is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, forming part of the union of Urglin : the tithes amount to £264.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Tullow, and contains a chapel.
There is a public school, in which about 150 children are educated.