Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentKELLISTOWN, or KELLYSTOWN, a parish, partly in the barony of FORTH, but chiefly in that of CARLOW, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 4.50 miles (S.E.) from Carlow town, on the road from that place to Newtown-Barry ; containing 662 inhabitants.
It comprises some elevated grounds, which command extensive prospects ; and in it is Moyle, the residence of T. Bunbury, Esq.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the gift of the Crown for two turns, and the Bishop for one : the tithes amount to £361. 12s. 6d. The church is a small plain building, for the erection or which the late Board of First Fruits granted a gift of £600 and a loan of £100, in 1810 ; it was lately repaired by a grant of £155 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was built in 1801, by aid of a gift of £100 from the late Board ; the glebe comprises 20a. 2r. 23p.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Gilbertstown. One of the ancient round towers stood here till 1807, when it was pulled down to make room for the belfry of the church. The remains of the old church denote an early date ; in the burial-ground are some tombstones of the Cummins family, formerly proprietors of this place.