Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentKILLINAGH, a parish, in the barony of TULLAGHAGH, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 7.50 miles (E. by S.) from Manor-Hamilton, on Lough Macnean ; containing 5383 inhabitants.
It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 24,783.75 statute acres, including 982.75 under water, of which 42.75 are in Lower and 806.25 in Upper Lough Macnean.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriety in Major Saunders, and the tithes amount to £290. The church was erected in 1786, by aid of a gift of £390 from the late Board of First Fruits, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £163 for its repair.
The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a chapel at Killinagh, and one at Doobally.
There is a place of starship for Primitive Methodists.
About 320 children educated in three public, and 310 in seven private, schools, and there is a Sunday school.