Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentKILLOUGHTER, a parish, in the barony of TULLAGHGARVEY, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Belturbet, on the road from that place to Cootehill; containing 6130 inhabitants.
It comprises 7633 statute acres of arable and pasture land, except about 250 acres of waste and bog.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Kilmore, formed out of the parish of Annagh in 1813, and in the gift of the Incumbent of that parish : the tithes amount to £14, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have granted an augmentation of £20 per annum. The church is a neat plain building, with a square tower. The glebe-house was built by did of a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1822, and has a glebe of 16a. 3r.
The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a chapel at Red Hill.
There is a meeting-house for Primitive Methodists.
About 25 children are educated in the parochial school, and 460 in ten private schools.