Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentKILRAUGHTS, or CILRAGHTS, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DUNLUCE, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (E.) from Ballymoney, on the roads leading respectively from Coleralne to Belfast city : and from Ballymena to Bushmills ; containing 1837 inhabitants.
This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 5132.50 statute acres, of which very little is waste ; the system of agriculture is in a very unimproved state. The land is of excellent quality, and is generally occupied by small farmers, who devote a portion of their time to weaving ; consequently the due cultivation of the soil is neglected. There is only a small portion of bog, not more than sufficient to afford a moderate supply of fuel.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Connor, forming part of the union and corps of the prepend of Rasharkin in the cathedral of Connor, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to £150. The church is a ruin, situated on an eminence attached to it is a burial-ground, which is still used.
There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the second class, for Seceders of the second class, and for Covenanters.
About 45 children are taught in the parochial school, which is aided by the rector; the school-house was built by subscription in1824 ; there are two private schools, in which are about 10 children, also two Sunday schools.