Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentKILTENNEL, a parish, in the barony of IDRONE EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3.75 miles (N. E. by N.) from Graigue, on the road to Enniscorthy (Co. Wexford) ; containing 3206 inhabitants.
It comprises 1826 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is in a wild district bordering on Mount-Leinster.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in a the patronage of the bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Cloncurry. The tithes amount to £385, of which £250 is payable to the impropriator, and £135 e to the vicar. The church, which is in Killedmund, is a neat building.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Borris.
There are a parochial and national school, in which about 280 children are educated; and two private schools, in which are about 200 children.
The ruins of the old church are covered with ivy ; there are also the remains of a chapel at its eastern end, which was erected in 1789 by Capt. E. Byrne, and the fragments of. a granite cross and a cairn.