Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentLAYDE, a parish, in the barony of LOWER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER; containing, with the post-town of Cushendall, 4056 inhabitants.
This parish, called also Cushendall, from its post-town, and Newtown Glens, from its situation in the centre of the Glyns, was the residence of the Mac Auleys of the Glyns, who joined the standard of Mac Donnel at the celebrated battle of Aura, in 1569, after which the combined armies spent some days in festivity on the mountain of Trostan, on which they raised a cairn, still called "Coslin Sorley Boy." According to the Ordnance survey it comprises, exclusively of the Granges of Layde and Innispollan, 20,476 1/4 statute acres, one third of which is arable, and the remainder chiefly in pasture; the surface is undulating and in some parts mountainous; in the low grounds are some good meadow lands, the valleys are well cultivated, and the mountainous districts afford tolerable pasturage. Here are quarries of coarse free-stone and of white limestone, which is burnt for manure. Salmon and many other kinds of fish are found in the rivers, and on the coast of this parish, which is skirted by the coast road from Belfast to the Giants' Causeway, and is intersected by the royal military road. On the former road is a splendid viaduct over the river Glendon, which connects this parish with Culfeightrin and the barony of Glenarm with that of Carey.
Mount Edward is the residence of Gen. Cuppage; and Glenville, of the Rev. W. McAuley.
The living is rectory, in the diocese of Connor, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £235. 7sh.7 1/2 d; the glebe comprises 4 acres. A church was built in Cushendall in 1800; but having gone to ruin another was built in the town in 1832
In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a Union or district, called Cushendall, including this parish and Ardclinis, and containing chapels at Cushendall and Redbay.
The parochial school is partly supported by the rector; and F. Turnley, Esq., has built a good school house for a national school. In these and three other public schools about 840 children educated, and about 45 are taught in a private school there are also four Sunday schools, and a dispensary.
The ancient church is in ruins, but the cemetery is still used. The poet Ossian is said to have been born here.