Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentLORUM, a parish, in the barony of IDRONE EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Leighlin-bridge, on the road from Carlow town to New Ross(Co. Wexford); containing 1507 inhabitants.
It comprises 5428 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £5033 per ann. ; and contains Corries, the property of the Rudkin family, and Ballycormac House, late the residence of the Newton family.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, episcopally united to the vicarage of Slyguffe and the rectory of Ballyellin, together constituting the union of Lorum, in the gift of the Bishop : the rectory is impropriate in Lord Cloncurry. The tithes amount to £294. 4s. 7.25d., of which £196. 3s. 1d., is payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the vicar; the tithes of the entire benefice amount to £609. 4s. 1d. There is no glebe-house or glebe. The church, an old building, containing two modern tombs of the Rudkin family, has been recently repaired at an expense of £184 defrayed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Bagnalstown or Dunleckney, and has a chapel at Ballinkellin.
The parochial school was built and is supported by subscription ; and in the national school, which is aided by £10 per ann. from Lord Beresford, about 160 children are educated : there is also a Sunday school.