Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentSCRABBY, or BALLIMACKELLENNY, a post-town and parish, in the barony of TULLOGHONOHO, county of CAVAN, and province, of ULSTER, 15 miles (S. W. by S.) from Cavan town, and 70 (N. N. W.) from Dublin city ; containing 2668 inhabitants of which number, 188 are in the town.
This small town, which in 1831 contained 40 houses consists chiefly of one street extending along the road from Arvagh to Granard (Co. Longford) ; it has a sub-post-office to Crossdoney, and fairs are held on Feb. 10th May 12th, Aug. 1st, and Dec. 12th. The parish comprises according to the Ordnance survey, 6661 statute acres, of which 1182 are in Lough Gowna ; the land is of indifferent quality.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, forning part of the union of Granard ; the rectory is in dispute. The tithes amount to £157. 16s. 11d. of which £87. 13s. 10d., is payable to the vicar; the remainder is rectorial. The church adjoins the town.