Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentTERMONEENY, a parish, in the barony of LOUGHINSHOLIN, county of LONDONDERRY, and province of ULSTER, near the post-town of Maghera; containing 2551 inhabitants.
This parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Moyola, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 4773 statute acres, of which about 40 acres are its plantations, and 1000 bog; the remainder is principally arable, with a moderate proportion of pasture. The land varies greatly in quality; around the old church of Mullach it is extremely fertile, producing abundant crops; but in the neighbourhood of Knockleighrim, high, rocky, and unproductive. The substratum is principally basalt, and many of the rocks of that formation rise abruptly above the surface, especially Knockleighrim, a bold and almost detached rock of basalt, which rises to a considerable height and is difficult of access, except on the east, to which its whole surface inclines ; it has some indications of the columnar formation, and is a conspicuous object front every part of the barony.
The principal seats are Clover Hill, the residence of R. Forrester, Esq.; and Brough, of D. Cunningham, Esq. ; there are also many good houses in the parish.
The inhabitants are partly engaged in weaving linen, and also calico for the Belfast manufacturers ; there is a large bleach-green at Brough, where about 8000 pieces of linen Are bleached and finished annually. Four town-lands of the parish belong to the see of Derry, and are in the manor of Maghera; the remaining five belong to the Vintners' Company, of London, and are in the manor of Bellaghy.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Derry, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £220. The glebe-house was built in 1822, at an expense of £433. 6s. 11d., defrayed by the then incumbent ; the glebe comprises 290 acres, valued at £158 per annum. The church was erected in 1801, on which occasion the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £554 British.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is partly in the union of Maghera and partly a district of itself : there is a chapel at Lammy, without its limits.
A place of worship is alternately occupied on Sundays by Covenanters and Seceders.
About 200 children are taught in two public schools, of which the parochial school is partly supported by the rector ; and there is a private school, in which are about 90 children.