Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.


  • Place
    Tuaghboyne
  • County
    Donegal
  • Parish
    Tuaghboyne
  • Content
    TAUGHBOYNE, a parish, in the barony of RAPHOE, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 5 miles (W.S.W.) from Londonderry city , on the road to Raphoe ; containing, with the village and ancient disfranchised borough of St. Johnstown, 6335 inhabitants.

    St. Baithen, son of Brendan, a disciple and kinsman of St. Columb, and his successor in the abbey of Hy, founded Tegbaothin in Tyrconnell : he flourished towards the close of the sixth century.

    The parish, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises an area of 15,773 3/4 statute acres, including a large portion of bog: the land is chiefly arable, and of good quality. There are some extensive slate quarries, but the slates are small and of a coarse quality. The river Foyle, which bounds the parish on the east, is navigable for small boats to St. Johnstown, where a fair is held on Nov. 25th.

    The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Abercorn : the tithes amount to £1569.4.7 1/2; and the glebe, com.prising 317 acres, is valued at £260. 6. 5 1/2 , per annum. The glebe-house was originally built in 1785, at a cost of £1313 British, and subsequently improved at an expense of £1399 by the then incumbent. The church was erected in 1626; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £268 for its repair. (Note: in the article on All Saints, Lewis states that the parish of All Saints was created with townlands from the parish of Taughboyne)

    In the R, C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Lagan, or Raymochy ; the chapel was built about 50 years since.

    In the parochial school partly supported by an endowment of Col. Robertson, a school under the London Hibernian Society, and two schools supported by subscription, about 200 children are educated; there are also nine private schools, in which are about the same number of children, and five Sunday schools : two school-houses have been lately erected by the Marquess of Abercorn. There is a dispensary for the poor.