Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Antrim.
ContentDERVOCK, a post-town, in that part of the parish of DERRYKEIGHAN which is in the barony of LOWER DUNLUCE, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 10 miles (E.N.E.) from Coleraine (County Londonderry); and 123 (N. by W.) from Dublin, on the turnpike road from Ballycastle to Ballymoney; containing 362 inhabitants. This is a neat and well-built town, consisting of two streets, one on each side of the river Bush, and containing about 65 houses.
It belongs entirely to G. Macartney, Esq., and has been greatly improved of late years. While in the possession of the late Lord Macartney, great encouragement was afforded to the linen manufacturers to settle here. There are some extensive corn and flour-mills on the banks of the river. Fairs are held for cattle and sheep, but chiefly for horses, on Jan. l2th, Feb. 23rd, May 14th, June 22nd, Ang 12th, and Oct. 29th.
A constabulary police force has been stationed here. The parish church, a handsome structure, is situated close to the town; as is also an R. C. chapel dependent on that of Ballymoney, and the Presbyterian meeting-house of the Synod of Ulster, which is a large building.
A very handsome school-house was erected by G. Macartney, Esq., in 1829, and given by that gentleman for a parochial school; attached to it is a girls' school, established in 1832, and principally supported by Mrs. Macartney.