Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Armagh.
ContentJONESBOROUGH, a parish, in the barony of UPPER ORIOR county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 45 miles (S. W.) from Newry, adjoining the post-town of Flurry-bridge, and containing 1598 inhabitants, of which number, 174 are in the village.
According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 2185.75 statute acres, including about 700 acres of bog an mountain. Clay-slate and good granite for building are obtained here. The village, which comprises 35 houses, is situated in a mountain pass at the foot of two lofty hills close to the confines of county Louth, and was burnt in 1798. Here is a good inn; and a dispensary has been established, which is supported in the usual way. It has much traffic with Newry and Dundalk ; and cattle fairs are held on June 4th, Aug. 15th, Oct. 21st, and Dec. 3rd.
Near the village is Jonesborough House, the residence of Hamilton Skelton, Esq. ; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. Robert Henry.
Here were formerly barracks for the accommodation of a troop of infantry, but the building has been converted into a private residence.
The parish was formed out of that of Killevy, or Ballymore, in 1760, and endowed with the tithes and glebe, in 1789, by Primate Robinson. It is a rectory in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-primate : the tithes amount to £155. There is a glebe-house, which was built by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £80, in 1816, from the late Board of First Fruits, and has a glebe of 6a. 3r. 11p. The church is a plain neat building, erected in 1779, consecrated in 1785, and repaired in 1812 by a gift of £400 from the same Board.
In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Faughart, and has a large handsome chapel in the village.
About 100 children are educated in two private schools. A little south of the village stands an upright single stone, with an illegible inscription ; and not far distant are the ruins of Moyrath castle, erected in the 17th century to defend the mountain pass.