Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cavan.
ContentLAVAY, or LOWEY, a parish, in the barony UPPER LOUGHTEE, county of CAVAN, and province ULSTER, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Cavan (town), on the road to Virginia containing 6305 inhabitants.
According the Ordnance survey it comprises 10,679 statute acres of which 76 1/2 are water. The land is highly cultivated there are some large tracts of bog, affording an abundant supply of fuel.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Westmeath. The tithes amount to £386.5., of which £153.15. is payable to the impropriator, and £232.10. to the vicar. The church, a very neat edifice, was erected by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1817 and has been recently repaired by a grant of £152 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established church; and contains the Upper chapel, built in 1820, and the Lower chapel, which has been recently built, at an expense of nearly £2000, on a site given by Major G. Burrowes.
There are seven private schools, in which about 49 children are educated.
Here are some Danish raths and several heads of battle axeses and brazen Spears were discovered on an artificial island while draining Lake Lavey in 1832, and are in the possession of J. Smith, Esq.