Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cork.
ContentBALLINADEE, a parish in the East Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S.E.) from Bandon; containing with the merged parish of Kilgoban, 2800 inhabitants of which number 228 are in the village.
It comprises 7558 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4265 per annum. Nearly the whole village is under tillage: the land is generally good, and the system of agriculture has very much improved; the cultivation of turnips, vetches and other green crops has lately been introduced with much advantage. Slate quarries in different parts are worked, but not to a great extent, for the supply of the neighbourhood and the town of Bandon, and the produce is sent down river to Bandon to be shipped to Cork and other ports. The village consists of 42 houses, most of which are small and well built, and it contains a large flour mill of great power, which was much improved in 1836. A new line of road has been constructed, within the last two years, to Ballinaspittle, a distance of three miles and a half. There are several small quays on the river, at which great quantities of sea sand for manure are landed for the supply of the adjacent parishes: more than 100 boats re engaged in raising it, of which about 20 belong to this parish. Here are also several weirs on the river for taking salmon.
The gentlemen's seats are Rock House, that of J. Gillman, Esq., situated on the side of a romantic glen, in the centre of some highly improved grounds; Rock Castle, of E. Becher, Esq.; Peafield, of George H. Rawlins, Esq.; Peafield House of J. Minton, Esq.; Ballyvolan, of Walter Tresillian, Esq.; Knocknacurra, of Benjamin Gillman, Esq.; and the Glebe-House, the residence of Rev. R. N. Perry. Kilgoban Castle at present untenanted, is situated at the side of the river Bandon, and is in good preservation, forming a striking feature in the surrounding scenery, which in many parts is picturesque and very interesting, particularly in the vicinity of Rock House, Kilgoban and the glens near the village of Ballinadee.
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Cork, united at a period prior to any existing record with the denominations of Kilgoban, Rathdowlan and Mackloneigh, which constitute the corps of the treasurership in the cathedral church of St. Finbar, Cork, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £616 10s. 8.50 d., per annum and the gross income of the treasurer is returned at £644 per annum. The church is a large edifice, built in 1759, and a square tower has recently been added. The glebe comprises 5a. 2r. 12p.
In the R.C. divisions, the parish forms part of the union or district of Courceys, and contains a chapel, a large plain edifice, rebuilt within the last five years, at an expense of £400.
The male and female parochial schools are aided by an annual donation of £10 from the rector: there are also a Sunday school and a daily pay school. On the lands of Kilgobban is the ruined tower of an ancient castle, which belonged to the family of McCarthy, beneath which by the river's side, a great quantity of gold and silver coins, with numerous gold rings was dug up in 1824.