Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cork.
ContentBALLYDELOUGHER, or BALLYLOOHERA, a parish in the barony of BARRYMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (N.E. by E.) from Cork containing 1145 inhabitants.
This parish which is sometimes called Kilroan, but is more generally known by the name of Brooklodge, is situated on the road from Cork to Tallow. The hilly portions of this district, like most others in its vicinity, are shallow and stony, but are tolerably well cultivated, particularly near that branch of the Glanmire river which separates this parish from Caherlog. At Butlerstown are some very extensive paper-mills; there are also a spade and shovel manufactory, and a small tuck-mill.
Riverstown-house, the beautiful residence of J. Browne, Esq., and formerly of Dr. Peter Browne, the celebrated Bishop of Cork and Ross in the early part of the last century, and also of Dr. Jemmet Browne, Bishop of Cloyne, is in this parish.
It is a rectory in the diocese of Cork, and forms part of the union and corps of the prebend of Killaspigmullane in the cathedral of St. Finbarr, Cork: the tithes amount to £177 10s. The church of the union was formerly at Ballyvinny, but was suffered to fall into decay on the erection of a new church in this parish, a neat small edifice built in 1829, in aid of which £625 was granted by the late Board of First Fruits. It is also incontemplation to erect another church or chapel near Watergrass-hill. There is no glebe-house; but the entire glebe of the union, consisting of ten acres, is in this parish.
In the R.C. divisions the parish is included in the union or district of Glauntane or New Glanmore. The parochial school is situated at Riverstown, half a mile from the church, and is principally supported by local subscriptions.