Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cork.
ContentBRITWAY, a parish, partly barony of KINNATALOON, and partly in the barony of KINNALEA, but chiefly in that of BARRYMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5.50 miles (E. S.E.) from Rathcormac; containing 1098 inhabitants.
It is bounded on the north by the river Bride, and comprises 3712 statute acres, of which 3568 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2206 per annum. Of its entire surface there are 646 acres of mountain, capable of great improvement, and 380 acres of marshy land and exhausted bog, the whole of which is reclaimable. The land in cultivation consists of a light shallow soil, and the greater part is under tillage.
Ballyvolane, the seat of Capt. Pyne, is a neat residence, situated in a well wooded demesne.
It is a rectory in the diocese of Cloyne, and is part of the union of Ahern: the tithes amount to £281 8s. 0.25 d.
In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union of Castlelyons.
The male and female schools for Britway and Ahern are near the latter place, and there is a hedge school in this parish, in which are about 50 boys and 20 girls.