Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cork.
ContentCASTLE-TOWNSEND, a village, in the parish of CASTLEHAVEN, East Division of the barony of WEST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER 4.50 miles (E.) from Skibbereen ; containing 901 inhabitants.
This village, which derives its name from Castle-Townsend, the seat of Col. Townsend, is situated on time north side of the harbour of Castlehaven, and consists of one long street, with a shorter one diverging from it, comprising 150 houses, which are mostly small but well built. It contains the custom-house for the port of Baltimore, and is a coast-guard station in time district of Skibbereen, and a constabulary police station. It occupies a gentle declivity, which descends to the bay, and is well adapted for an extensive trade, but has none, except a little in fish. The harbour, which is half a mile wide, is well sheltered, and vessels of 500 tons' burden can anchor within the haven. There is a ferry to the opposite parish of Mycross, affording a ready communication with the village of Union-Hall, on the harbour of Glandore. The fine seat of Castle-Townsend was attacked, in 1690, by about 500 Irish troops in the Interest of Jas. II, under young O'Driscoll, who were so warmly received by the proprietor and a garrison of 35 men, that in two assaults they lost 40 of their member, with their commander and two other officers. It was attacked again, soon afterwards, by Mac Fineen O'Driscoll, at the head of 400 men, who, having slain five of its garrison of 30 dragoons compelled the rest to surrender. Col. Culliford subsequently retook the castle, after killing ten and capturing five of the Irish garrison.
The elegant church of Castle-haven stands on a bold eminence above the village ; and the parochial and infants' schools are also situated here.