Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cork.
ContentCLONDULANE, a parish, partly in the barony of FERMOY, but chiefly in that of CONDONS and CLONGIBBONS, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Fermoy ; containing 1585 inhabitants.
In Jan., 1642, David Barry, Earl of Barrymore, took Careysville castle, formerly called Ballymacpatrick castle, in this parish, after an obstinate resistance, and in view of the Irish army on the other side of the river Blackwater. The garrison, consisting of 51 men, were all made prisoners and afterwards executed. Carrickabrick, at the western extremity of the parish, is said to have been besieged by Cromwell ; the effects of cannon are still visible on the walls.
This parish lies on both sides of the river Blackwater, and on the road from Fermoy to Lismore, and contains 4736 acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6437. 10s. per annum. The land is chiefly under tillage, but there is a considerable quantity of meadow and excellent pasture on the banks of the Blackwater, and also about 200 acres of woodland. There is no bog, which renders fuel scarce and dear, it being chiefly obtained from Youghal, whence it is brought in lighters to Tallow, and thence by land carriage. The state of agriculture is progressively improving; the Scottish system prevails on several estates. A continuous substratum of limestone runs along the north side of the river, and some patches are found on the south side, which are worked for building or repairing the roads. At Glendullane are extensive flour-mills, built by the late Earl of Mountcashell, who constructed a mill-dam across that part of the Blackwater called Poul-Shane, where there is water enough for a vessel of several tons' burden, although the river is not navigable higher than Cappoquin : these mills, which are worked by Mr. R. Briscoe, of Fermoy, furnish employment to about 30 persons, and are capable of producing above 20,000 bags of flour annually.
The principal seats are Careysville, the residence of E, K, Carey, Esq, the handsome modern mansion built on the site of Careysville castle ; Mount Rivers, of Matthias Hendley, Esq. ; Bellevue, of Thomas Dennehy, Esq. ; Straw Hall, of J. Carey, Esq. ; Rockville, of the Rev. J, Mockler; Lukeyville, of Mrs, Lukey ; Rathealy, of J, Lucas, Esq. ; and Bettyville, of R. Nash, Esq.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Norcott family. The tithes amount to £740 which is equally divided between the impropriators and the vicar. There is no glebe-house, but a glebe of 12 acres near the church, The church is a small plain building, erected in 1811, by aid of a gift of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £176. 17s. 4d., for its repairs.
In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Fermoy A school-house has been lately built and placed under the National Board.
A short distance eastward from the bridge of Fermoy are the ruins of the castles of Carrickabrick and Liclash, both reduced to solitary towers; the former, one side of which is nearly battered down, stands on the south bank of the Blackwater; the latter, which stands on the north bank, is a low square tower mantled with ivy. Near Liclash castle are two curious caverns in the limestone rock; also a large rath or fort.