Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Donegal.
ContentCARN, or CARNDONAGH, a market and post-town, in the parish of DONAGH, barony of ENNISHOWEN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 17 miles (N.) from Londonderry, and 135 1/2 (N.N.W.) from Dublin; containing 618 inhabitants.
This place, which is pleasantly situated on an eminence near the head of the bay of Straghbregagh, or Strabeagy, and on the road from Londonderry to Malin, consists of a small square and four good streets, and contains 198 houses, many of which are large and well built; a river runs through it, and another has its course a little to the north. The market is on Monday; and fairs are held on the 21st of Feb., May, Aug., and Nov.
Here is a chief constabulary station, with barracks for the police; and it is the head of a coast.guard district, comprising also the stations of Dunree Fort, Dunaff Head, Malin Head, Port Redford, and Green Castle.
In the vicinity are many excellent houses, the principal of which are, Tunalague, the residence of R. Cary, Esq., proprietor of the town; the glebe-house, of the Rev. G. Marshall; Fairview, of J. Magill, Esq.; and Bridge House, of M. Rankin, Esq.
The parish church, near which is an ancient and curious stone cross, and the R. C. parochial chapel, a large and handsome edifice, erected in 1826, are situated in the town. There are also a meeting-house for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, male and female parochial schools, a large and handsome national school, and a dispensary.