Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Down.
ContentBALLYTRUSTIN, a parish, in the barony of ARDES, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 1 mile (S. E.)from Portaferry ; containing 735 inhabitants.
This parish, which is not noticed in the Down survey, is situated on the eastern coast; it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, including detached portions, 1681.75 statute acres. The soil is fertile, and the lands are all in an excellent state of cultivation, producing abundant crops.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Down, and is part of the union of Ballyphilip and corps of the chancellorship of Down; the rectory is impropriate in John Echlin, Esq. The tithes amount to £190.4s. 2 .50 d of which £117.14s. 5d., is payable to the impropriator, and £72. 9s. 9 1/2 d. to the vicar. There are some remains of the ancient church, and the churchyard is the chief burial-place of. the R. C. parishioners.
In the R. C. divisions it forms part of each of the unions or districts of Lower and Upper Ardes.
At Kerney is a school of 100 boys and 80 girls, aided by subscription and an annual donation of £8 from Dr. Blacker, on whose estate the school-house was erected by a grant of £100 from the Lord-Lieutenant's fund.
At Ballyfounder is a very large rath, nearly perfect.