Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Dublin.
ContentBALLYFERMOT, a parish in the barony of NEWCASTLE, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Dublin city centre; containing 402 inhabitants.
It is intersected on the south side by the Grand Canal and comprises 1178 statute acres as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3214 per annum.
Ballyfermot castle, an ancient building, is now the residence of Capt. Lamplin; the other seats are Johnstown, the residence of T. Daly, Esq.; and Johnstown Lodge, of ??? Place, Esq.
An extensive paper-manufactory, belonging to Messrs M'Donnel and Sons, in which from 70-80 persons are generally employed, is carried on at Killeen: the principal kinds made are bank-note paper for the Bank of Ireland, and printing paper for the Dublin newspapers. Within the enclosure of this establishment, which resembles a small town, are dwelling houses for its workmen and their families: the house of the proprietor is pleasantly situated in some tastefully ornamented grounds. There is also in the parish a small manufacture of glue and parchment.
It is a rectory in the diocese of Dublin, and is part of the union of Chaplizod: the tithes amount to £130. The church is in ruins.
In the Roman Catholic divisions, it is included in the union or district of Lucan, Palmerstown and Clondalkin.