Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Dublin

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Dublin.


  • Place
    Ballymore
  • County
    Dublin
  • Parish
    Ballymore
  • Content
    BALLYMORE, or BALLYMORE-EUSTACE, a market-town and parish, in the barony of UPPER-CROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 18 miles (S. W.) from Dublin city; containing 2085 inhabitants, of which number, 841 are in the town.

    This town derives its name, signifying 'the great town of Eustace; from its foundation by that family, a branch of the Fitzgeralds, who also erected here a castle of great strength, the ruins of which have been lately entirely removed. It is situated on the river Liffey, over which is a handsome stone bridge of six arches, and consists of one principal and three smaller streets : there is a penny post to Naas (Co. Kildare). The great southern road formerly passed through it, but has been diverted through the village of Kilcullen by the construction of a new line, and the town bas since considerably decayed.

    A large manufactory, in which every description of cloth is made, was erected in the vicinity by Mr. Christopher Dromgoole, in 1802 and, when in full work, employs about 700 persons. The market, granted by Jas. I. to the Archbishop of Dublin, having fallen into disuse, was revived about seven years since; it is held on Wednesday and is well supplied with grain. Fairs are held on Easter-Monday, June 24th, Aug.26th, Oct. 28th, and Dec. 21st, principally for cattle, pigs, and sheep. Here is a station of the constabulary police. The parish is the head of a lordship and manor belonging to the Archbishop of Dublin, and comprising the parishes of Ballymore, Ballybought, Cotlandstown, Yagoe, Tipperkevin, and Tubber, in the county of Dublin, and of Milltown and Tornant, and part of Rathsallagh, in the county of Wicklow. The system of agriculture is improving.

    Mount-Cashell Lodge, the property of the Earl of Mount-Cashell, is pleasantly situated, and is in the occupation of Mr. Dromgoole. The other principal residence. are Ardenode, that of E. Homan, Esq. ; Season, of Mrs. O'Brien ; and Willfield, of R. Doyle, Esq.

    The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, with those of Ballybought, Cotlandstown, and Yagoe episcopally united time immemorially, forming the union of Ballymore, in, the patronage of the Archbishop: the rectory is partly appropriate to the economy estate of the cathedral of St. Patrick, Dublin, and partly united to those of Boystown and Luske, which together constitute the corps of the treasurership in that cathedral, The tithes amount to £145-11s-1d, of which £27-10s- 7d, is payable to the lessee of the dean and chapter, £39-2s- 7d to the lessee of the treasurer, and £78-17s.-11d, .to the vicar; and the gross tithes of the benefice amount to £137-2s.-3d. The church is a plain building with an embattled tower surmounted with pinnacles, erected in 1820 by the late Board of First Fruits, at a cost of £900 : the churchyard is of great extent, and contains the remains of the old church, and numerous ancient tombstones. There is neither glebe nor glebe-house.

    In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, which comprises also the parishes of Ballybought, Cotlandstown, and Tipperkevin, in the county of Dublin, and the parish of Hollywood and part of Blessington, in that of Wicklow : the chapel at Ballymore is a substantial and commodious building, and there is another at Hollywood.

    The parochial school is supported by subscription; and there is another school, for which a school house was erected by subscription in 1835, at an expense of about £400 : there are also two private schools in the parish.

    About a mile from the town the river Liffey forms the celebrated cascade of Poul-a-Phuca, or the Demon's Hole, consisting of three successive waterfalls 150 feet in height. The chasm is only 40 feet wide, and is skirted on each side by perpendicular masses of grauwacke rock; and when the river is swollen by heavy rains the water rushes down with tumultuous impetuosity into a circular basin of the rock, worn quite smooth and of great depth, the form of which imparts to it the motion of a whirlpool, and from which the cascade derives its name. It then dashes through narrow openings in the rocks, and forms two more falls, the lowest being about 50 feet high. Immediately over the basin, on the line of the new turnpike road from Blessington to Baltinglass, is a picturesque bridge of one pointed arch springing from rock to rock, built in an antique style from a design by the late Alex. Nimmo, Esq., at an expense, including the land arches and approaches, of £4074-15s. ; the span of the arch is 65 feet, the altitude of the chord above the upper fall is 47 feet, and the height of the keystone of the arch above the bed of the river is 150 feet. The late Earl of Miltown took a lively interest in this picturesque spot, which he embellished by planting one side of the glen forming part of his estate, making walks, and erecting rustic buildings in various places, beside. a banqueting-room, 45 feet long by 25 wide, from which there is a delightful view of the falls and the bridge, with the perpendicular rock. partly planted, and the upper moss seat appearing through the arch; but owing to the disturbances of 1798 he went abroad, and some time after sold it to Col. Aylmer, who is now the proprietor, and has appointed a person to take proper care of it, by whom accommodation has been prepared for the numerous visitors that resort hither from Dublin and else- where, and seats have been placed in the most advantageous situation. for obtaining different views of the fall ; a rustic seat above the head of the fall command an excellent view of the cataract, bridge, lower rustic seat, and banqueting hall, with the winding of the river.
  • Place
    Ballymore
  • County
    Westmeath
  • Parish
    Ballymore
  • Content
    BALLYMORE, or ST. OWEN'S of LOUGHSEUDY, a post-town and parish, in the barony of RATHCONRATH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 12 miles (W. by S.) from Mullingar,and 57 .50 miles (W.) from Dublin; containing 8494 inhabitants.

    An abbey is said to have been founded here in the year 700 ; but the only religious establishment of which there are any authentic records was a monastery founded by the De Lacy family in 1218, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, for Premonstratensian canons and Benedictine nuns, who occupied distinct portions of the same building. Hen. VIII. made the church of this monastery the cathedral church for the diocese of Meath, which it continued to be for a short time. In the parliamentary war of 1641, this was the principal military station of the English in this part of the country ; the garrison had possession of a strong fortress on the shore of Lough Shodie, or Loughseudy, which was accessible from the land only by a drawbridge across a wide and deep moat. In the war of the Revolution, when part of the English army had fortified themselves at Mullingar, this place was strengthened by a party of the Irish forces from their head-quarters at Athlone, with the view of acting against Mullingar ; but they were soon attacked by Gen. De Ginkell, and pursued with loss to Moat-a-Grenogue. The fort of Ballymore, on the island in the lake, was still in the possession of James's forces, and garrisoned with 1000 chosen men; but the forces of William advancing from Athlone to besiege it, the garrison, on seeing some armed boats launched to act against it from the lake, on which side it was defenceless, surrendered themselves prisoners of war after only one day's defence, and the fort was taken by Gen. De Ginkell, who repaired the fortifications and placed in it a strong English garrison.

    The town, which is situated on the mail coach road from Moate, extends partly into the parish of Killare, and contains 668 inhabitants, of which number, 510 are in that part of it which is in the parish of Ballymore ; it consists chiefly of small houses and cabins, and the only public buildings are the parish church and R. C. chapel. It had formerly a market, which has been discontinued ; but fairs are held on Whit-Monday and Oct. 14th. Here is a chief constabulary police station; and petty sessions are held every alternate Friday.

    The parish, which is called St. Owen's of Loughseudy, comprises 9189 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: about three-fifths of its entire extent are arable, and the remainder is pasture, with some waste land and bog. Agriculture, which had been long in a very neglected state, has within the last five or six years shewn some slight indications of improvement, There are some fine limestone quarries, which are worked for building and for burning into lime, but only for private use.

    The lake of Shodie, or Loughseudy, is studded with some pleasing islets towards the north. Beyond it is Shinlas, formerly the residence of the Malones, but now in ruins: Emoe, the seat of F. Magan, Esq., and Moyvoughly, that of C. Arabin, Esq., are pleasantly situated about two miles south-west of the town.

    The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath, united to the impropriate curacy of Killare, and in the patronage of the Bishop to whom the rectory is appropriate: the tithes amount to £323-1s-6.25d, payable to the bishop. The church, a neat edifice with a square tower, was erected by aid of a loan of £1200 from the late Board of First Fruits in 1827. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the same Board, in 1813: the glebe comprises 30 acres.

    In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, which comprises also the parish of Killare, each of which contains a chapel.

    There are seven pay schools, in which are about 330 children. Near the town are the remains of an ancient castle, said to have belonged to the De Lacy family; the only portion standing is a round tower, about 20 feet in height.
  • Place
    Ballymore
  • County
    Wexford
  • Parish
    Ballymore
  • Content
    BALLYMORE, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2.25 miles (w.) from Broadway; containing 522 inhabitants.

    This parish is situated near Lough Ta, and comprises 2520 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.

    It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and forms part of the union of Kilscoran, also called Tacumshane, which constitutes the corps of the chancellorship in the cathedral of Ferns : the tithes amount to £203. 17s. 11.50d., payable to the chancellor. In 1832 the parishes of Ballymore and Tacumshane were formed into an ecclesiastical district under the name of Churchtown, and a perpetual curacy was instituted. The new church is situated in the parish of Tacumshane, but close to the border of this parish, and was built by aid of a grant from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

    In the R. C, divisions it is in the union or district of Maglass ; a chapel has been lately erected.

    There is a school at Moonfield Cross.