Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Dublin.
ContentCLONTURK, or DRUMCONDRA, a parish, in the barony of COOLOCK, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER 1 mile (N.) from Dublin city centre, on the roads to Howth, Malahide, and Swords ; containing 2713 inhabitants.
The river Tolka bounds the parish on the south, a woollen mill on which was washed away in 1834 by a flood, but was rebuilt in 1836 ; there is also a brass foundry. The city police have a station on the strand.
There are many beautiful seats, the chief of which is Marino, that of the Earl of Charlemont ; it is entered from the Strand road, near Fair View, by an elegant semicircular gateway of hewn granite, which attracted the notice of his late Majesty, Geo. IV., who pronounced it to be the most perfect structure of the kind in his dominions. The demesne contains above 100 acres, and is well wooded. The mansion, which contains some elegant apartments, is of plain and unpretending exterior; but this want of embellishment is fully compensated by the Temple or Casino. This fine imitation of Grecian architecture crowns the summit of a gentle eminence in the centre of the demesne. It rises from a square platform, ascended on the north and south sides by broad flights of marble steps. Contiguous to the Casino, which was erected by the late Lord Charlemont, from a design by Sir W. Chambers, is an extensive pleasure ground surrounding a small but beautiful sheet of water, supplied from a copious fountain gushing from a rock-work grotto. The other residences are Belvidere House, that of Sir J. C. Coghill, Bart. ; Drumcondra House, of Gen. Sir Guy Campbell, K.C.B., in whose grounds are the remains of an ancient building ; Drumcondra Castle, of R. Williams, Esq. ; Hampton Lodge, of Mrs. A. Williams; High Park, of G. Gray, Esq.; Hatfield, of P. Twigg, Esq. ; Donnycarney, of Abel Labertouche, Esq.; Richmond Castle, of A. Williams, Esq. ; Annadale, of W. Hone, Esq. ; Union Lodge, of J. English, Esq. ; Well Park, of W. Kirwan, Esq. ; Woodbine Lodge, of H. Yeo, Esq. ; Richmond House, of P. Birch, Esq. ; Tokay Lodge, of M. Kerr, Esq, ; Mary Ville, of J. J. Finn, Esq. ; Rose-mount, of W. Butler, Esq. ; and Sally Park, of W. Mathews, Esq.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the patronage of the Corporation of Dublin, in which the rectory is impropriety. The church is a small plain building, erected in the early part of the last century by the Coghill family, and was repaired and decorated by the corporation in 1833, at an expense of £500. On its north side is a large tomb, erected to the memory of Marmaduke Coghill, Chancellor of the Exchequer for Ireland, on which reclines his elegy in his official robes, with figures of Minerva and Religion below. On the south side of the churchyard are interred the remains of F. Grose, Esq., the distinguished antiquary who died in Dublin, in Bray 1791; and T. Furlong, a native poet, was buried here in 1827.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is in the union or district of Clontarf, and has a chapel near Annesley bridge. The parochial school is in the village of Drumcondra; and an infants' school was established in 1829, at Philipsburgh strand ; there is also a girls' school at the Richmond convent. This nunnery is of the Presentation order, and is surrounded with grounds tastefully laid out, and has a chapel annexed.
In the village of Drumcondra is an asylum for poor women, called the Retreat. Annesley bridge, and the causeway connected with it, were erected by act of parliament in 1796 and 1797. at an expense of about £6000 : they cross a portion of ground overdosed by the tide, at the confluence of the river Tolka with the river Liffey. Higher up, on the left, the Tolka is crossed by the old bridge of Ballybough. Philipsburgh strand extends from one bridge to the other. To the east of Annesley bridge is a cluster of buildings, called Fair View; and beyond them, between the Malahide and Howth roads, is Marino Crescent, consisting of large handsome houses, with an enclosed lawn in front, which extends to the road bounding the strand; it commands fine views, and is very convenient for sea. bathing.