Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Dublin.
ContentGARRISTOWN, a parish, in the barony of BALROTHERY, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER 4 miles (N. W.) from Ashbourne ; containing 2081 inhabitants, of which number, 741 are in the village of Garristown, and 218 in that of Baldwinstown.
It is a constabulary police station, and has a dispensary. There is a windmill on a hill near the village, from which is an extensive prospect, commanding a view over fourteen counties. Good building stone and turf are obtained in the parish; and fairs are held on May 5th, Aug. 15th, and Nov. 1st.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the gift of Lord Trimleston, in whom the rectory is impropriate : the vicarial tithes were valued at £50, and there is a glebe of 25 acres. The church is a plain building : the glebe-house, which was built in 1791, is in ruins.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is united to Ballymadun ; there is a chapel in each parish ; that of Garristown was erected in 1828, and galleries were added to the chapel of Ballymadun in 1833.
There is a national school, in which about 100 boys are instructed, and there are also two private schools.