Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Dublin

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Dublin.


  • Place
    Kilgobbin
  • County
    Dublin
  • Parish
    Kilgobbin
  • Content
    KILGOBBIN, or KILGOBBAN, a parish in the half barony of RATHDOWN, County of DUBLIN and province of LEINSTER, 5.50 miles (S. by E.) from Dublin City, on the road to Bray(Co. Wicklow); containing 1149 inhabitants.

    This parish comprises 3290 Statute acres; the system of agriculture is improving. Ballybrack and the principal part of the Three Rock mountains are within its limits. There is an abundance of fine granite that is used for building, flagging, &c., and is chiefly sent to Dublin. Good turf is obtained from the mountains.

    There are several pretty villas, which, from their elevated situation command extensive views embracing the bay and city of Dublin, with a great expanse of sea and adjacent country : the principal are Fern Hill the residence of J. M'Casky, Esq. ; Kilgobbin Cottage of B. E. Lawless, Esq. ; and Jamestown House of J. Rorke, Esq.

    There is a constabulary Police station in the village of Stepaside.

    It is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Dublin forming part of the union of Kilternan : the tithes amount to £150.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district of Sandyford or Glancullen.

    There is a school, aided by subscriptions and collections at an annual charity sermon, in which about 80 children are educated.

    Here are the remains of an ancient castle, erected by the family of Walsh, by which it was forfeited in the reign of Chas. I., and then passed to the Loftus family.

    The church, which is said to have been the first erected after the Reformation, stands near the castle, and has been disused since 1826, when one was built at Kilternan: Near it is an ancient cross, about eight feet high, and there is another in the Jamestown House Demesne, in the vicinity of which was a holy well dedicated to St. James. An urn, which is now in the museum of the Royal Irish Society, was discovered in the lawn of Kilgobbin Cottage.
  • Place
    Kilgobbin
  • County
    Kerry
  • Parish
    Kilgobbin
  • Content
    KILGOBBIN, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 7.50 miles (W S. W.) from Tralee, on the Connor Hill road from that place to Dingle ; containing 2378 inhabitants.

    It comprises 17,449 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; part of it is well cultivated. Sea-weed is much used for manure, and there, is a fine bank of shell-sand at Bunnavounder. On the side of the mountain of Cahirconree is a quarry of indifferent slate, and iron is said to exist at Carraduff : at Bunnow is a large flour-mill. There is a constabulary police station at Knockglass.

    The principal seats are Garryhees, the residence F. Fitzgerald, Esq. ; Knockglass of Mrs. Ray; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. E. Day.

    The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £422. The church for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £850, in 1825, is a handsome building, with a square tower surmounted with pinnacles. There is a glebe-house, for the erection of which the same Board gave £250 and lent £550 in 1820 : the glebe comprises ten acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, callad Cappaclough, comprising the parish of Kilgobbin and part of Ballinvohir : the old chapel at Cappaclough is in ruins, and a new building has been erected at Camp. At the latter place are the ruins of an ancient castle. There are four private schools in the parish.