Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Fermanagh

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Fermanagh.


  • Place
    Bow Island, Boa Island
  • County
    Fermanagh
  • Parish
    Templecarne
  • Content
    BOW, or BOA, ISLAND, partly in the parish of TEMPLECARNE, and partly in that of DRUMKEERAN, barony of LURG, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Pettigo; containing 382 inhabitants.

    This island situated in the upper portion of Lower Lough Erne, comprises, according to the Ordnance Survey 1342 statute acres, of which nearly 787 are in Drumkeeran, and the remainder of the parish in Templecarne. The land is good, and the island is divided into a number of small farms varying from two to forty acres. There is a fine quarry of freestone. In the townland of Caldragh is a burial ground.