Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Fermanagh.
ContentDERRYBRUSK, a. parish, partly in the barony of MAGHERASTEPHENA, but chiefly in that of TYRKENNEDY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N. B.) from Enniskillen; containing 1329 inhabitants.
It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 4656.25 statute acres, of which 4373.25 are in the barony of Tyrkennedy ; 241 .50 are water, and 2298 are applotted under the tithe act. Adjoining Lough Erne a monastery for Dominican friars was founded, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, by Mac Manus, lord of the place, of which there are still some remains, also traces of the village of Gola, in which it was situated.
Derrybrusk House is the seat of J. Deering, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £77. 10s. 9.25d ; the glebe comprises 40 acres. There has been no church from time immemorial in this parish; the Protestant inhabitants of the central and southern portions attend the churches of the neighbouring parishes, and divine service is performed in a school-house once on the first Sunday in every month.
There is a school at Ballyreague, in which are about 50 children.