Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Galway.
PlaceClonkeen, Cloonkeen, Clonkeenkerily
ParishClonkeen, Cloonkeen, Clonkeenkerily
ContentCLONKEEN, or CLOONKEEN, also CLONKEENKERILY, a parish, in the barony of TYAQUIN county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7 miles (N.E.) from Athenry ; containing 1806 inhabitants.
Thomas O'Kelly, Bishop of Clonfert, and afterwards Archbishop of Tuam, about 1435, erected the parish church of Clonkeen, or Clonkeen-kerrill, into a convent of Franciscans of the Third Penitential order, at the instance of David and John Mull-Kerrill, and Pope Eugene IV. confirmed this donation in 1441. This monastery existed till 1618, when its possessions were held by Conor Duffe O'Naghten, and Conor Oge O'Naghten, both of Galway. The parish is situated on the road from Kilconnell to Tuam, and contains 3132 statute acres.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert, and is part of the union of Ballymacward ; the rectory is partly appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral of Christchurch, Dublin, and partly to the see and deanery of Clonfert. The tithes amount to £82. 10s. 6d., of which, £11. 1s. 6.50d., is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £11. 1s. 6.50d., to the dean, and the remainder, except 7s. 6d., to the vicars choral, to the incumbent.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district of Ballymacward, or Gurteen ; the chapel is at the latter place.