Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Galway.
ContentDONONAUGHTA, aparish, in the barony of LONGFORD, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT ; containing, with the post-town of Eyrecourt, 2277 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the river Shannon, and on the road from Banagher(Co. Offaly/King's)to Loughrea ; and comprises 2423 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; a very small portion is woodland, and the remainder is principally under tillage.
Among the gentlemen's seats are Eyrecourt Castle, that of J. Eyre, Esq., to which is attached a chapel of ease, built in 1677 by J. Eyre, Esq. ; Eyreville, of T. S. Eyre, Esq. ; Prospect, of C. A. O'Malley, Esq. ; and Fahy, of T. Burke, Esq.
It is in the diocese of Clonfert ; the rectory is appropriate to the see, and the vicarage episcopally united, in 1813, to the vicarages of Meelick, Fahy, Tyrenascragh, Killimorbologue, Kilquane, and Lusmagh, forming the union of Dononaughta, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £71. 10s. 9.25d., of which £46. 3s. 1d., is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and £25. 7s. 8.25d., to the vicar ; and the tithes of the whole benefice amount to £299. 15s. 4.25d. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £450, and a loan of £200, from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1822. The churchly a plain building in Eyrecourt, was erected by aid of a loan of £307 from the same Board, in 1818 : the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £354 for its repair. Divine service is also performed in a school-house in the parish of Killimorbologue.
In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish is united to those of Clonfert and Meelick, forming the union of Eyrecourt, where the chapel is situated.
A school for boys is supported by the interest of a bequest of £1000, and a house by the late Rev. J. Banks, to which Mr. Eyre has given an acre of land ; and there is another school, aided by subscription, in which together are about 30 boys and 30 girls.