Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Galway.
ContentDROMACOO, a parish, in the barony of DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8.75 miles (N. N. W.) from Gort, on the bay of Galway ; containing 1044 inhabitants.
It comprises 1723 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is in the diocese of Kilmacduagh ; the rectory is partly appropriate to the see, partly to the vicars choral of Christchurch cathedral, Dublin, and partly to the prebendary of Islandeddy ; the vicarage forms part of the union of Kilcolgan. The tithes amount to £53. 11s., of which £12. 12s. is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £18. 18s., to the vicars choral, £15. 15s., to the vicar, and £6. 6s. to the prebendary.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish, called Ballindirreen, from the place where the chapel is situated, is co-extensive with that of the Established Church.
There are four private schools, in which are about 160 children.
The ruins of the old church have been converted into a mausoleum for the family of St. George, whose mansion stands in the adjoining parish of Stradbally, though part of the demesne is within the s limits of this parish.