Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Galway.
ContentKILCHRIST, or KILCRIEST, a, parish, partly in the barony of LOUGHREA, but chiefly in that of DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Loughrea, on the road from that place to Gort ; containing 1703 inhabitants. A baronial court is held once in three weeks.
It comprises 3613 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and includes Woodville, the seat of R. D'Arcy, Esq.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmacduagh, and forms part of the union of Killinane, or Kilthomas ; the rectory is partly appropriate to the bishoprics, and partly to the vicars choral of Christ Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £88, of which £19 is payable to the bishop, £3 to the lessee of the vicars choral, and £66 to the vicar. The glebe-house of the union is in this parish.
The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a small chapel, in connection with which is a large school for about 400 children. About 80 children are educated in a public school, which is partly supported by the rector, and about 90 in a private school. Here are the remains of a chapel.