Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Galway.
ContentKILKERRIN, a parish, in the barony of TYAQUIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8.25 miles (N. W. by W.) from Ballinamore, on the road from that place to Dunmore ; containing 5012 inhabitants.
The principal seats are New Forest, the residence of J. D'Arcy, Esq. ; Capper of A. Beatty, Esq., and Welford of Martin D'Arcy, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, epsicopally untied from time immemorial to the vicarages of Boyannagh and Clonbern, and in the patronage of the Archbishop : the tithes amount to £325, and of the union to £670. The church which is a small structure, about to be re-built was erected in 1784 by aid of a gift of £390 from the late Board of First Fruits. There is a glebe house, for the erection of which the Board, in 1817, gave £400 and lent £370.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also Clonbern, and containing three chapels, two at Kilkerrin and one in Clonbern. The parochial school, in which are about 40 children, is supported by a donation of £40 per annum from the rector, who has also given a house and two acres of land ; about 320 children are educated in four private schools, and there is a Sunday school.