Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Galway.
ContentKILLANE, or KILLIANE, also called KILLOEBHAIN, a parish, in the barony of KILCONNELL, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 9 miles (W. by S.) from Ballinasloe, on the road from Kilconnell to Ballymacward ; containing 1317 inhabitants.
It comprises 1755 statute acres, and contains Woodlawn, the seat of J. Trench, Esq., where a mausoleum was erected by the late F. Trench, Esq., for his 21 children, for each of whom there is a separate vault.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert, forming part of the union of Kilconnell ; the rectory is appropriate to the see, the sacristan of Clonfert, the vicars choral of Christ Church, Dublin, and the vicarage. The tithes amount to £150. 1s. 5.25d., of which £22. 15s. 4.50d., is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £9 to the sacristan, £50 to the lessee of the vicars choral, and £68. 6s. 1.75d., to the incumbent.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is the head of a union or district, called New Inn, which includes this parish and Bullane, in each of which is a chapel.
About 150 children are educated in a public school, to which Lord Ashtown contributes £26 per annum, and about 60 in two private schools.