Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Galway.
ContentKILLORA a parish partly in the barony of KILTARTAN but chiefly in that of DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Loughrea to Galway city ; containing, with the post-town of Craughwell, 1663 inhabitants.
The principal seats are Ballimore, the residence of R. Rathborne Esq. ; Rockfield of M. Brown, Esq., Aggard, of J. Lambert, Esq., and Moyode Castle of Burton Persse, Esq.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmacduagh, forming part of the union of Killinane or Kilthomas : the rectory is appropriate to the see and archdeaconry : the tithes amount to £157, of which £28 is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £50 to the archdeacon, and £79 to the vicar.
The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established church, and is called Craughwell, at which place the chapel is situated.
About 250 children are educated in 2 private schools.
Note: In 1851, there was a townland called Craughwell as well as a town called Craughwell. The townland of Craughwell was in the Civil parish of Kiltormer.