Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Galway.
ContentMEELICK, a parish, in the barony of LONGFORD, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2.25 miles (S. E.) from Eyrecourt ; containing 1643 inhabitants.
This parish, which is also called Milick, if situated on the river Shannon, and comprises 3404 statute d acres, as applotted under the tithe act. O'Madden, dynast of the adjacent country, founded a monastery here for conventual friars on a beautiful site surrounded in winter by the outspreading waters of the Shannon. In 1203, William de Burgo made it a garrison for his troops ; and at the dissolution it was granted to Sir John King, who assigned it to the Earl of Clanrickarde.
In the village is a station of the constabulary police.
It is in the diocese of Clonfert ; the rectory is partly appropriate to the see, and partly to the archdeaconry; and the vicarage forms part of the union of Dononaughta The tithes amount to £97. 16s. 11.25d. , of which £27. 13s. 10.25d., is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £33. 4s.7.50d., to the archdeacon, and the remainder to the vicar.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Eyrecourt ; there is a convent of Franciscans, with a chapel attached, which is open to the public.