Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Galway.
ContentTYRENASCRAGH, a parish, in the barony of LONGFORD, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3.50 miles (N. N. E.) from Portumna, on the. road from Loughrea to the river Shannon; containing 1093 inhabitants.
This parish, which is pleasantly situated on the river Shannon, comprises 3656 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; about one-half of the land is arable and in a profitable state of cultivation ; the system of agriculture if improving, and there is a large tract of bog
The principal seats are Longford Lodge, the residence of Major Kelly ; Longford Castle; of J. Dowling,. Esq. ; and Waterview, of J. Lemon, Esq.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert, forming part of the union of Dononoughta ; the rectory is appropriate partly to the see and partly to the deanery: the tithes amount to £71. 1s. 6.50d., of which £34.3.1d., . is payable to the Ecclesiastical commissioners (as part of the temporalities of the See), £4. 12s. 8.75d., . to the Dean, and £32. 6s. 1.75d., to the vicar.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district of Killimore ; the chapel is a small thatched building, situated in the village.
About 150 children are taught in two private schools in the parish.