Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Kerry

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kerry.


  • Place
    Ballinacourty
  • County
    Galway
  • Parish
    Ballinacourty
  • Content
    BALLINACOURTY, a parish in the barony of DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Oranmore, containing 3250 inhabitants.

    This parish is situated on the estern shore of the bay of Galway, and on the road from Oranmore to an inlet of the bay forming the approach to Claren-Bridge. The inlet of Tyrone or Ballynacourty is well sheltered, and has good anchorage for vessels drawing not more than ten feet of water, which however, must not venture in when it comes within two hours of low water of spring tides, as there are then only 9 feet in the channel. Westerly winds occasion a great swell at the entrance, , in which case it should not be attempted before half flood, nor after half-ebb. On the south side of the haven there is a small pier called St. Kitt's, built by the Fishery Board, but adapted only for boats, the strand being dry at low water; it was never properly finished, and is now in a ruinous condition. Small craft sail up this inlet three miles further to a point near Claren-Bridge and Kilcolgan.

    In the parish is the Cottage, the residence of J. Ryan, Esq.

    The living consists of a rectory and a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Tuam; the former is part of the union of St. Nicholas and corps of the wardenship of Galway; and the latter is one of four which constitute the union of Kilcummin. The tithes amount to £240, of which £180 is payable to the warden, and £60 to the perpetual curate.

    In the R.C. divisions the parish is in the diocese of Galway, and forms part of the union or district of Oranmore; the chapel is a large thatched building, capable of accommodating 1000 persons.

    There is a school at Gurrane, in which about 70 boys and 50 girls are taught; and there are three private pay schools, in which are about 120 children.

    At the village of Ballynacourty are the remains of an old church.
  • Place
    Ballinacourty
  • County
    Kerry
  • Parish
    Ballinacourty
  • Content
    BALLINACOURTY, a parish in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 8.50 miles (E. by N.) from Dingle, on the road to Tralee, containing 1884 inhabitants.

    It comprises 2973 statute acres as applotted under the tithe act. A considerable portion is rough mountain pasture, with some bog, but mostly reclaimable; the remainder is under cultivation. A few boats are employed in fishing in the bay of Dingle, but for want of proper shelter, the fishery is very limited. The construction of a small pier on this side of the bay would be of great advantage. Fairs are held at Ballinclare on the 1st of May and the 4th October, for black cattle and pigs. At Annascall is a constabulary police station; and petty sessions are also held there. A seneschal's court for the barony is held at Ballintarmin, generally on the last Wednesday in the month, at which debts not exceeding £10 late currency are recoverable.

    The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and about the year 1750 was episcopally united to six other vicarages, constituting the union of Kilflyn; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Cork. The tithes amount to £161 10s. 9d. The church situated at Annascall, was erected by aid of a loan of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits in 1816. The glebe-house of the union is situated here, and was built by aid of a gift of $450 and a loan of £200 from the same Board, in 1821: there is also another at Kilflyn. The glebe comprises 14 plantation acres; and there is also an old glebe of four acres about a mile distant.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the district of Ballinvohir; a chapel is now in course of erection at Annascall at which place is a school, principally supported by the Earl of Cork. There are some remains of the old church in the burial ground.