Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kerry.
ContentDUAGH, a parish, partly in the barony of IRAGHTICONNOR, but chiefly in that of CLANMAURICE, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, on the river Feale, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Listowel ; containing 3750 inhabitants, of which number, 210 are in the village.
It extends to the confines of the county of Limerick, and comprises 19,129 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, a large portion of which consists of coarse mountain pasture and bog. A kind of brown flagstone is found in several places.
The gentlemen's seats are Duagh House, the residence of M. Fitzmaurice, Esq., pleasantly situated on the Feale, and Duagh Glebe, of the Rev. R. Dickson ; part of the beautiful demesne of Ballinruddery (a seat of the Knight of Kerry) also extends into this parish.
It is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and is a vicarage, held by faculty with that of Kilcarragh, in the patronage of Robert Hickson Esq.; the tithes amount to £124. 12s. 5d. The glebe-house was erected in 1829. when £415 was granted as a gift and £184 as a loan by the late Board of First Fruits ; it stands on a glebe of 23 acres, which, with a glebe of 12 .50 acres in the parish of Kilcarragh is subject to a rent of £37. 10s. The church, a small plain structure, was built in 1814, by aid of a gift of £800 from the same Board.
In the Roman Catholic divisions Duagh forms a union or district of itself, with the exception of a small portion which is attached to that of Listowel ; a new chapel has been lately erected.
In the school superintended by the parish priest, and two other pay schools, more than 100 children are taught.