Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Kerry

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kerry.


  • Place
    Dysart
  • County
    Kerry
  • Parish
    Dysart
  • Content
    DYSART, or DISERT, a parish, partly in the barony of IRAGHTICONNOR, but chiefly in that of CLANMAURICE, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. S. W.) from Listowel, on the river Brick ; containing 631 inhabitants.

    It comprises 3608 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, including some excellent land. There is a considerable portion of bog, affording fuel of good quality : the state of agriculture is gradually improving.

    Ballinagar is the seat of the representatives of the late John Barnard, Esq.

    The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe ; the vicarage forms part of the union of Aghavallin, and the rectory is impropriate in Anthony Stoughton, Esq. The tithes amount to £133. 16s. 10d., payable in moieties to the impropriator and the vicar ; and at Ballinagar is a glebe of 13 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it is partly in the union or district of Listowel, but chiefly in that of Lixnaw, or Iveamore.

    About 70 children are educated in a private school.

    The ruins of the ancient church still remain in the burial-ground. Ennismore, the residence of J. F. Hewson, Esq., gives the titles of Baron and Viscount to the family of Hare, Earls of Listowel.
  • Place
    Dysart
  • County
    Kilkenny
  • Parish
    Dysart
  • Content
    DYSART, a parish, in the barony of FASSADINING, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2.25 miles (S.) from Castlecomer, on the road to Kilkenny city ; containing 2501 inhabitants.

    This parish is situated on the river Dinin ; and comprises 2606 statute acres.

    It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny ; the rectory is impropriety in the representatives of Sir James Tynte, Bart. The tithes amount to £300, of which £200 is paid to the impropriator, and £100 to the vicars choral. There is no church ; the parishioners attend divine worship at Mothell.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Muckalee.

    About 90 children are educated in a public school.
  • Place
    Dysart
  • County
    Waterford
  • Parish
    Dysart
  • Content
    DYSART, or DESERT, a parish, in the barony of UPPERTHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Clonmel (Counties Tipperary & Waterford); containing 1444 inhabitants.

    This parish is bounded by the river Suir, which separates it from the county of Tipperary, and contains 3,318 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Near Churchtown is the pleasant residence of John Power, Esq.

    It is in the diocese of Lismore : the rectory, with that of Kilmoleran, constitutes the Corps of the prebend of Dysart in the cathedral of Lismore ; the vicarage was episcopally united, in 1787, to that of Kilmoleran, and in 1804 to the rectories of Fenoagh and Templemichael, forming the union of Dysart ; both are in the gift of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £304. 12s. 3d., of which two-thirds are payable to the prebendary and the remainder to the vicar ; the entire revenue of the prebend is £429, and the tithes of the benefice amount to £425. 2s. 3d. : the glebe-house stands on a glebe of 4 .50 acres. A recent grant if £188 has been made by the Ecclesiastical Board for repairing the church, which is at Churchtown. Adjacent to it are the ruins of the ancient church, within the walls of which are two large old tombs of members of the Butler and Everard families, the latter of which had a castle here in the middle of the 17th century.

    In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Carrickbeg, and contains a chapel. The parochial school, in which about 50 children are educated, was established by Sir Moore Disney, who built the school-house.
  • Place
    Dysart
  • County
    Westmeath
  • Parish
    Dysart
  • Content
    DYSART, a parish, partly in the barony of RATHCONRATH, but chiefly in that of MOYCASHEL and MAGHERADERNAN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. W.) from Mullingar, on Lough Ennel, and on the road from Mullingar to Kilbeggan ; containing 1020 inhabitants.

    St. Colman is said to have founded an abbey here, which was eventually a house of Conventual Franciscans. One of the islands belonging to Dysart was fortified by the Irish at the close of the civil war of 1641, and made one of their chief depositories. It. was taken, under capitulation, by the English, but was retaken and the English made prisoners; it finally surrendered to a superior force.

    The parish comprises 4244 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act : the lands is exceedingly fertile. There is a considerable tract of bog, and an abundance of lime-stone. Dysart House, now in ruins, and Lilliput, also uninhabited, both the property of Andrew Savage Nugent, Esq., are in the parish. There is a constabulary police station in the village.

    The parish is in the diocese of Meath, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Churchtown : the tithes amount to £120, and the glebe contains 12 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district of Churchtown ; the chapel is near the village. There are some remains of an old church with a cemetery.