Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Kerry

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kerry.


  • Place
    Kilconly
  • County
    Galway
  • Parish
    Kilconly
  • Content
    KILCONLY, a parish, in the barony of DUNMORE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5.50 miles (N. W.) from Tuam, on the road from that place to Castlebar (Co. Mayo); containing 2555 inhabitants.

    The parish comprises 4716 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act : the land is good, with the exception of a large tract of reclaimable bog. Limestone of good quality is abundant ; and there are meal and flour-mills on a large scale. It is a constabulary police station, arid petty sessions are held at the station-house at Milburn every Friday.

    The principal seats are Castle-grove, the residence of E. Blake, Esq. ; Ironpool, of Ulick Jennings, Esq. ; Rockwell, of G. Lynch, Esq. ; Newborough, of J. Blake, Esq. ; Kilshanway, of Capt. Lewis ; Belmont, of Blake Birmingham, Esq. ; Ashgrove, of T. Birmingham, Esq. ; and Blindwell, of M. Staunton Kirwan, Esq.. This Estate has been in the possession of the Kirwan, or O'Quirivawn, family for many centuries : in 1822, part of the land suddenly sank, and the abyss was filled with water. Within the demesne are the ruins of a fortress, consisting of a keep, enclosed within four strong walls, with a turret each its corner : the entrance arch is inthe Norman style, and in good preservation.

    The parish is in the diocese of Tuam ; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Tuam, and is in the patronage of the Archbishop. The tithes amount to £144. 10. 6.50d., which is equally divided between the vicars choral and the incumbent. The church is a neat building, erected in 1830, at an expense of £1500.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it is united to Kilbannon, and a large chapel is in course of erection.

    About 130 children are educated in a public, and 80 in a private school.
  • Place
    Kilconly
  • County
    Kerry
  • Parish
    Kilconly
  • Content
    KILCONLY, a parish, in the barony of IRAGHTICONNOR, county of KERRY and province of MUNSTER, 10.50 miles (W. by S.) from Tarbert, on the southern shore of the estuary or mouth of the river Shannon ; containing 1660 inhabitants.

    Near the shore are the ruins of the Ancient castles of Beale and Lick, the former of which (designated do Beau-lieu '' in the Pacata Hibernia) was once a residence of the Earls of Kerry. In 1600 its fortifications were demolished by Patrick, the then earl: in the same year, however, the brave Maurice Stack, one of Queen Elizabeth's officers in the desultory war then carried on, was invited here by the earl's lady and treacherously murdered by her attendants. A dangerous bar, or quicksand, extends about a mile north from Beale Point, and nearly opposite Carrigaholt bay.

    The parish comprises 2942 statute acres, of which 188 are coarse pasture, 114 bog, and the remainder arable land, for manuring which sea-weed and sand are generally used. The mountain of Knockanure, 665 feet above the level of the sea, is partly in this parish ; from its summit an extensive view of the Shannon is obtained, the shores of which are in this vicinity extremely pleasing.

    Litter House is the residence of G. Wren, Esq.

    The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe ; it is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the corps of the treasurership of Ardfert. The tithes amount to £83. 1s. 5.75d., and there are two glebes, containing together about four acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Lisseltin.

    About 100 children are educated in a public school, and there are two private schools, in which are about 180 children.

    Near the ruins of Lick castle is a columnar cliff called by the peasantry the "Devil's Castle,'' inaccessible except to sea fowl; its summit is sometimes frequented by eagles. In the vicinity are several caves, formed by the dashing of the waves against the cliffs.