Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kerry.
ContentKILDRUM, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 2 .75 miles (W.) from Dingle, on the road to Ventry ; containing 1090 inhabitants, and comprising 4150 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about one-fourth consists of coarse mountain pasture.
The southern part of the parish forms the peninsula which separates the harbours of Dingle and Ventry : a small cove of the latter comes up to the village, the inhabitants of which are chiefly employed in fishing.
The seats are Burnham House, the property of Lord Ventry, and now occupied by his agent, D. P. Thompson, Esq. and Monaree, the residence of the Hon. Capt. Mullins. The former, and the female orphan school attached to it, situated near the border of Dingle parish, are described under that head.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Ventry. the tithes amount to £110. 15s. 4d., of which two-thirds are payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the vicar. There is a glebe of seven acres.
In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Dingle.
The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial-ground.
At Ballycunneen is an ancient oblong enclosure of about half an acre called Cahircullane or Collins's Castle, in one angle of which is a circular building somewhat similar to Staigue Fort, in the parish of Kilcrohane, but of much smaller dimensions.